Listen Live
HomeNewsNorthern College officials say province's learn and stay program should be beneficial...

Northern College officials say province’s learn and stay program should be beneficial to students, health care

The Vice President of academic and student success at Northern College in Timmins says the expansion of the province’s learn and stay program will benefit both employers, the college and the students. Aaron Klooster believes health care will be able to address staff shortages and students won’t have to worry about debt.

“I would expect this coming September the fall of 23 that we would see an increase,” he said. “We will certainly be able to gauge that in advance as our recruitment team is out there working very very hard on it. The recruitment season for the fall next year I believe we will start to see that buzz and start talking about it so we absolutely will know.”

The learn and stay program allows students to receive grants for tuition and books if they commit to working in the same community for six months.

He hopes this is just the beginning and further expansion could be on the way.

- Advertisement -

“We offer a one year medical laboratory program, a one year technician program that’s currently not being covered but however, it looks positive that there might be discussion to include that,” he said. “We need medical laboratory technicians, medical laboratory assistants in this region as well.”

Grant applications for the fall semester will open in the spring.

- Advertisment -
- Advertisment -
- Advertisement -

Continue Reading