Timmins is one week away from the municipal election nomination period closing without enough people running.
Currently there is no one on the nomination list for Ward Three. Here is a full list of the current nominations:
- John Curley – Ward 4 Councillor
- Pat Bamford – Ward 4 Councillor
- Jessica Trudel – Ward 4 Councillor
- Rock Whissell – Ward 1 Councillor
- Veronica Farrell – Ward 1 Councillor
- Alex Szczenbonski- Ward 5 Councillor
- Cory Robin – Ward 5 Councillor
- Jason Sereda – Ward 5 Councillor
- John Ivanovs – Ward 5 Councillor
- John Roy – Ward 5 Councillor
- Walter Wawrzaszek – Ward 2 Councillor
- Bob Brush – EP Trustee
- Colleen Landers – ES Trustee
- Liliane Francis – FP Trustee
- Nicole Arcand – FP Trustee
- Langis Dion – FS Trustee
- Ron Macinnis – ES Trustee
- David Bernotas – FP Trustee
- Denis Belanger – FS Trustee
- Paul St-Jean – FS Trustee
- Steve Black – Mayor
- Mickey Auger – Mayor
- Daniel Fortier – Mayor
City Clerk Steph Palmateer says if no one puts in a nomination by the deadline on July 27th, the nomination period for that ward would be extended for one day on August 1st. Palmateer says if again no one puts their name in, the position will stay empty for a few months.
Palmateer says the decision to hold a by-election or nominate someone to the position would be made by the new council that will officially be named in December.
Palmateer says there is also only one person currently running for Ward two. He says if things stay like this by the end on of the nomination period, there will be no election for that Ward and the nominee will automatically be named councillor.
This year’s municipal election is scheduled for October 22nd.