The Kirkland Lake OPP is reminding citizens to be careful of identity theft. They say it is a growing crime, and includes illegally getting, or forging, government documents.
Guard Your Personal Information
– Never give personal information by phone, internet or mail unless you initiate the contact.
– Shield your debit card PIN and never lend your cards.
– Report missing credit or debit cards.
– Shred documents with personal information.
– Your SIN should only be used for employment and tax information.
Guard Your Computer and its Information
– Select complex passwords combining letters, numbers and symbols.
– Install firewall, anti-virus, anti-spyware and security software-update often.
– Don�t buy and don�t reply to spam or emails that ask for banking information.
Signs of ID Theft
– Purchases not made by you appear on your monthly bills.
– Bills arrive on accounts you don�t own.
– Collection agencies call about unknown debt.
– Credit card/bank statements don�t arrive.
– Your credit reports show mystery debts.
What to do
– Call financial institutions and local police.
– Keep records of steps taken to clear your name and re-establish your credit.
Help Stop Fraud