The Temiskaming OPP is reminding drivers to keep your cars, and front doors locked. They have responded to many calls about cars being broken into, and even responded to a break and enter in New Liskeard, all within the last two weeks. Remember to use high quality locks on your house. Keep all valuables out of sight, and if your car is running, don’t leave it unattended.
Full list of tips from the OPP:
- Use high quality locks and hardware on residential property. Exterior doors should have deadbolt locks that require a key from the outside. Install a peep hole if your door doesn’t have glass in it.
- Make sure all windows lock properly. This includes residential and garage.
- You should put curtains or blinds in your garage windows so your valuable items are not in view. Keep the garage doors closed and locked at all times even when you are at home.
- Install motion-sensor lights near your residence and garage to keep it well lit at night.
- A professional can steal your vehicle in just 30 seconds. A vehicle with an unlocked door or an open window is an easy target.
- Never leave your vehicle unattended while it is running.
- Do not leave any packages or valuables in your vehicle. If you have to leave them in the vehicle, put them in the trunk before you park at your final destination.
- Pocket your keys and do not hide spare’s.