The Temiskaming OPP is warning parents about a suspicious male hanging around Haileybury Public School. They have received multiple calls about a man in his 40’s or 50’s who has been driving around the school making obscene gestures at children. It was also reported he was on foot walking around the school. Some reports say he followed kids and tried to get their attention. The man is described as bald with pale skin, wearing a thin dark coat with dark coloured gloves.
Police are asking parents to remind their kids to never talk to strangers, or go anywhere with them. Detachment Commander of the Temiskaming OPP, Inspector Brent Cecchini says they take all incidents involving children very seriously. He says take time today to sit with your kids and go over safety rules regarding strangers.
Police have released the following safety tips:
- Remind your child to not to go anywhere with strangers, not to talk to strangers and not to take anything from them.
- Encourage your child to use a buddy system when walking and to always tell someone where they are going.
- Do not enter a stranger’s residence or friend’s house without advising your parents.
- Never approach or enter a stranger’s vehicle. If the vehicle stops, move away from it.
- Don’t take shortcuts through vacant parks, fields, wooded areas and isolated areas.
- If you are being followed, run home or go to the nearest public place and ask for help.