Police are reminding drivers to take it easy as the snow begins to fall. The South Porcupine OPP says to make sure your car is equipped with proper winter tires. They say tests have shown winters give better traction and control on icy roads than all-seasons or regular tires. Police also say to leave extra space between the car in front of you, and give yourself extra travel time.
Road conditions are available throughout the winter by calling 511 or going online to the MTO website.
Full list of safety tips from the South Porcupine OPP:
- Have an ice scraper or snow brush in your vehicle at all times
- Make sure your windows are all clear of ice and snow before heading out and your lights are visible
- Equip your vehicle with proper winter tires
- Allow extra time for travelling when weather and road conditions warrant it
- Leave extra space between vehicles as stopping distances are more than double on snow or ice covered roads
- If you do need to stop, pull well off the roadway with your four-way flashers on and stay in the vehicle until rescuers arrive