Again this week, our Timmins history feature is a brief trivia quiz.

Timmins Museum director-curator Karen Bachmann has today’s first question.

“In June of 1938, thieves stole over $41,000 worth of gold from which mine? The Hollinger Mine, the Naybob Mine, the Dome Mine or the Coniaurum Mine?”

And the second:

“Timmins Town Hall located on Algonquin Blvd. was opened in 1922, 1938, 1944 or 1912?”

ANSWERS:

  1. The Dome Mine lost 375 lbs. of gold precipitate that was removed by sawing through steel bars in a refining room window. In 2021 dollars, that $41,000 would be just over $741,000.
  2. Town Hall (now City Hall) opened in 1938, the same year as the McIntyre Community Building.