Listen Live
HomeNewsMath win for First Nations school

Math win for First Nations school

A First Nations school in the Timmins-James Bay riding has won a prestigious award. Grade four and six students at Ma-tah-ha-mao School in Peawanuck were awarded for having the highest math scores for their respective grades. Around 800 students from across the country entered the contest this year.

“This award is huge given the fact there were 31 schools taking part in this competition,” says Timmins-James Bay MP Charlie Angus. “This shows that were are making progress in Timmins-James Bay when it comes to raising the level of education in First Nations.”

Timmins-James Bay MPP Gilles Bisson says this award is the first of its kind in North America. “This really motivates young students in First Nations schools to learn math,” says Bisson. “It pushes kids to want to be the best. When they have that attitude in school, they have a better chance of succeeding in life.”

The annual competition was designed to encourage students in First Nations schools to study and learn math in a competitive environment in order to sharpen their math skills.

“Not having to pay removes one of the biggest hurdles First Nations schools often find standing in their way of participating. Now they can be judged on their skills and not their ability to pay,” concludes Angus.

- Advertisment -
- Advertisment -
- Advertisement -

Continue Reading